In 1868 James Quirk sold his 424 acre property bounded by Stud Road, Wellington Road and Dandenong Creek to Frederick Row for one pound and ten shillings an acre.
Frederick Row was a wealthy wool broker who was moving up in colonial society. He bought the property with the intention of turning it into a country estate. He named it Stamford Park after an estate of the same name owned by the Row Family in Linconshire, England. The present grand homestead on the property was built in 1882 by his son, Edward Row.
The home became the focus for Melbourne’s wealthy and well-connected people during Christmas and the spring racing season. The famous actress, Nellie Stewart, was a frequent guest and later married Frederick Row’s youngest son, Richard. Leading members of Melbourne society including the Governor, Lord Hopetoun, were also guests at Stamford Park.