The first school in Rowville was established for Aboriginal children at the Native Police Depot in the 1840s.
There were so few children in Rowville over the next 130 years, that no school was built and the few local children went to either Scoresby, Mulgrave or Lysterfield State Schools.
Lysterfield State School which was opened in 1877 is the district’s oldest institution. The school continued right up until the 1990s on its small Wellington Road site until the decision was taken to move the school to larger grounds on the Lakesfield Estate.
Rowville Primary School was built in 1973 and quickly became one of the state’s largest primary schools. The pressure on it was eased in the late 1980s with the building of the Park Ridge, Karoo and Heany Park Park Primary Schools.
St Simon’s Catholic Primary School was established in the early 1980s. The long-awaited Rowville Secondary College commenced classes in 1990.
Rowville’s first kindergarten was built in Wellington Road in 1971 and in the 1980s further preschools sprang up in Eildon Parade, Taylors Lane North, Pitfield Crescent, Murrindal Drive and, in the 1990s, in Liberty Drive.